Sunday, February 19, 2012

Roasting Sausages and the "One Pan Meal"

Today, No Free Lunch reached 1500 pageviews. Thank you to all my dedicated readers. Make sure to tell all your friends about No Free Lunch and all the great things you've learned how to cook. I've been having a great time with this blog so far. If you have any suggestions or challenges (I do love a challenge) for me, please post them in the comments!


Today, I don't have a new full recipe, just some ideas. Previously, I seared and poached sausages. Another great method is to roast them. Roasting is perfect if you really want to keep the moisture inside the sausage. This leads us to a lot of great, easy "one pan meal" ideas. I like this approach to dinner because you can get everything in the oven and then do something else while it cooks. If the different items take different amounts of time to cook, either put them in partway through, or take them out.

In addition to sausages, chicken legs and potato wedges (now updated with a new photo) work very well as part of your one pan meal. While the pan is in the oven, you also have plenty of time to prepare a salad or other side, as well.

5 comments:

  1. My father would appreciate this dish a lot. He really likes using only one pan. He thinks everything should be (and can be) cooked using one pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not really a challenge, but do you have any English beer recommendations? I am looking forward to watching England v Wales rugby this weekend and I would like an acceptable beer to accompany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of good English beers out there. For me, the beers that best represent England are the pale ales. These are sometimes called "bitters." You also see the extra hopped India Pale Ales. Another good option are the dark beers - the stouts and porters.

      I recommend Samuel Smith. It's a brewery from Yorkshire that offers the full line of ales, all of them good. They are also widely available in the US. Their Imperial Stout is especially good.

      Delete
    2. Hi Peter,I am Sebastian's father. There is also Fuller's London Pride and Fuller's 1845. Of course, also widely available in the U.S. are Boddington's and Newcastle. All are very good. I like London Pride a lot.

      Delete
    3. Hi Peter, I am Jason. My favorite English bitter is Old Speckled Hen. It's fairly easy to find, and damn delicious. None of the above recommendations will steer you wrong either, having tried the 1845 and at least one Samuel Smith that I can remember (I think it was the Oatmeal Stout...).

      Delete