Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bangers and Mash

Pub Week, Day 7! Pub week rolls to a close with perhaps the most quintessential pub grub of them all: Bangers and Mash. Most of the time, I tell people that most complicated-seeming dishes are actually pretty easy to make. This one, however, is the opposite. Bangers and Mash seems very simple, but it actually takes a fair amount of dedication to produce, since it has 3 separate elements that need to come together at once.


Ingredients

Mashed Potatoes
  • 2 gold potatoes
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons half and half
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Sausage and Gravy
  • 2 links pork sausage
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/2 cup beef stock
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Mashed Potatoes

Boil water in a pot. Peel the potatoes and cut into halves. Boil the potatoes until soft (pokeable with a fork), 20-30 minutes. Once soft, drain the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add butter and half and half, and mix thoroughly. Season to taste.


Sausage and Gravy

Heat sauté pan to medium-high and brown sausages on both sides. Fill the pan up with water, about 1/3 up the sides of the sausages. Cover the pan and poach for 20 minutes. While the sausages cook, dice the onion.


Drain the water and set the sausages aside. Melt the butter in the pan and sauté onion pieces until soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour and stir together to integrate. Pour in the beef stock and a splash of Worcestershire. Mix together and reduce for a few minutes to thicken the sauce, and season to taste.


Once all three components are ready, place a mound of potatoes on the plate, top with sausages, and pour the gravy over the plate. Serve with a strong English pale ale for a full alehouse meal. I went with Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale.

10 comments:

  1. Bangers and Mash! What an excellent end to a great Pub week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once at Tesco I saw they had cans of "Big Juicy Bangers" and the next product on the shelf was "Red Hot Balls" (I think these were canned meatballs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Peter! Hope you're enjoying the blog.

      Delete
    2. Sebastian,

      I have really enjoyed reading your blog - whenever I visited the motherland I made sure to eat lots of bangers and fish & chips and meat pies and everything else that is common there. Your pictures make the food look really tasty and I am looking forward to trying some of these recipes myself.

      Delete
    3. Peter,

      This sounds like quite an adventure. You should cook the food and make a competing blog :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi, the other contributor is right, what a bang of a finish of Pub Week. I was wondering what style of sausage you used. Also, what is the origin of the idea of poaching the sausages after being browned? Would pan roasting work? I can see some advantages of cooking them in water as that tends to keep them moist and expanded. Is mustard part of the tradition? I really don't know the fine points of this dish as I have never had it in a pub nor have I ever made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was just some mild Italian sausage from the grocery store, nothing special. Not sure of the "origin" of the poaching, it's just what I've always done. I have roasted sausages before, and they are good that way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your attitude of substitution by using locally available ingrdients is right on. That is the right spirit to cook with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're making this one this weekend, will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made this one, and I thought it came out very nicely. I admit I didn't totally believe you about the degree of difficulty, but having experienced it, now I get it. Timing everything up was NOT easy! Fortunately, dumb luck was on my side, and everything came out both tasty and at the right time. I particularly liked the gravy, and I'm considering trying to experiment with adding different things to it and using it on different foods...

    ReplyDelete