Friday, January 9, 2015

Lovers' Shrimp (鴛鴦蝦仁)

After an extended absence, I am pleased to present my latest discovery from Pei-Mei's Chinese Cook Book. The unusual name for the dish initially piqued my interest, and needs some explanation. Pei-Mei herself provides none. My interpretation is that the two different colored shrimp are the lovers. That said, the dish also feeds two nicely, with an attractive presentation. In the Chinese name, "鴛鴦" is an idiomatic phrase for an affectionate couple, comprised of the words for a male and a female duck.


My version of the dish, only slightly changed from the original, is very easy to make, and very satisfying. I was initially skeptical about the ketchup, but it somehow just works. As usual, I'll make a few comments here about ingredients. Getting actual Shaoxing rice wine (other than the salted "cooking" wines found in Asian markets) is basically impossible, so I substitute dry Amontillado sherry. This particular bottle was purchased rather cheaply at Trader Joe's. The vegetables are going to vary by season and availability. I used gai-lan in the picture, but pea shoots are also good. In a pinch, broccoli or spinach will work, too. Shrimp is up to preference, although I find the Argentine red shrimp I discussed in an earlier post work very well. The ketchup is, of course, Heinz.

Ingredients

Shrimp and Marinade
  • 1 lb shrimp, deveined and cleaned
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 1/2 Tbs corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Sauce
  • 1 Tbs Shaoxing wine (substitute dry Amontillado)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Everything else
  • 1 lb (approx) green vegetable of your choice (gai-lan or pea shoots work well)
  • Salt to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 Tbs minced ginger
  • 3 Tbs ketchup
  • Vegetable oil

Instructions

Combine the shrimp with egg white, corn starch, and salt in a bowl. Mix well to coat and place in the refrigerator. Pei-Mei recommends marinating at least 30 minutes. You should also take the opportunity to mix the wine, salt, and sesame oil for the sauce to have on hand for later.


Prepare the vegetables first. As with all wok cooking, we will stay at high or near-high heat. Preparation will depend on the vegetables you have available, but I generally stir fry with some oil and salt, then cover until the stalks are cooked through. With gai-lan this will take a little longer. Pea shoots go very quickly. Set vegetables aside when done.


Add some more oil and briefly stir fry the shrimp. Continue frying while adding the green onion and ginger. Finally, add the sauce and cook together quickly. This whole process is reasonably quick, as the shrimp will not take long to cook.


Remove half the shrimp from the wok, then add the ketchup. Stir fry together for a few seconds, just to coat the shrimp. Serve on a platter with the two shrimps flanking the vegetables in the center. Serve with rice.

I have made a few minor adjustments to the original recipe from Pei-Mei's book. As usual, I stir fry the shrimp instead of deep frying. I simply find this easier, as you don't have to mess around with as much oil. I have also measured the onion and ginger by volume, which I feel removed some ambiguity in the recipe. Finally, I increased the amount of vegetables relative to shrimp.

6 comments:

  1. Is the Chinese name Ying Yang? I am not sure. I know this dish as a dish at or near the end of a multi-course banquet meal. Fried rice and noodles often come with it for a table of twelve. It is actually very good. ketchup is mostly tomato, vinegar and sugar. There is a place for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese name in the book translates as "lovers shrimp kindness."

      Delete
    2. Coming to this party very late as I was looking for this recipe (I haven't eaten it since the 1980s). While the individual words translate as 'shrimp kindness', 蝦仁 (xiaren)combined means "shrimp meat'. So the kindness of shrimp is its gift of meat, I guess.

      Delete
  2. I showed grandpa the name of this
    and he called it male/female, a pair. He started to chuckle so it is either a pun (which we know he loves) or something X-rated! I didn't dare ask...mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps your grandfather was reminded of another Chinese idiom, 鸳鸯戏水 (Yuānyāng xì shuǐ) which is a euphemism for having sex.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the insight, Patrick! Unfortunately, my command of the language does not match up to my love of the food.

      Delete