Thursday, January 22, 2015

Winter Grilling: Coho Salmon

For grill lovers like myself, the colder months can get a bit depressing. It's hard to get motivated to go outside, dig out the grill, and then stand outside when the temperature drops to zero as it did the last few weeks. That's not to say I've never shoveled snow off the grill -- sometimes you just have to have your ribs! When the weather improved these last few days, I jumped at the opportunity, as I encourage anyone to do.


This is more of a mini-post, rather than a full recipe, since this meal was so simple, but sometimes simple is best. Grilling fish sometimes makes me nervous, as I've had some bad experiences with sticking and falling apart. You do want to use the right fish, as well as make sure to use oil. Salmon does hold up quite well, and the full skin-on fillet of coho turned out very well. Here's what I did:

Preheat the grill. I let the grill get up to about 350 degrees before putting the fish on. Season both sides with salt and pepper, to taste. Rub olive oil on both sides. I also put a little cooking spray on the grill, but I'm not sure if this actually did anything.

Place the fillet on the grill, skin side down, and cook until the skin gets crispy, a few minutes. Flip the whole thing over and cook a few more minutes, just enough to get some nice grill marks. I kept the grill closed for most of it, and the salmon was not overcooked. Serve with lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment