Friday, January 20, 2012

Roasted Potato Wedges

Pub Week, Day 6. With the whirlwind of blogging going on this week, I've decided to present my roasted potato wedges early. These have been a staple of my diet going back to undergrad. Easy, tasty, and they make the kitchen smell great. The first time I made roasted potatoes, it was in a toaster oven - you can really improvise when the conditions are right (or is it wrong?). These potatoes are a great accompaniment to any meal, be it steak, burgers, fish, or chicken. You can even make a delicious one-pan meal by roasting chicken  legs or sausages on the sheet pan with the potatoes.


Ingredients
  • 4 red or gold potatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • Dried basil
  • Dried oregano
  • Black pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash each potato and cut in half. From each half, cut into 3-4 wedges depending on size of potato. Leave the skins on. Place wedges in a gallon-size plastic bag. Pour olive oil into the bag, then add the seasonings right onto the potato. Amounts of each is at your discretion, but 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon is about right for any of them. Use enough of the dried herbs so that you can see plenty of them on the wedges. You may also choose to add paprika or cayenne pepper to taste. Seal the bag and mix the ingredients around liberally to coat the potatoes evenly. Another great variation to try is to grate Parmigiano-Reggiano into the bag.


Lay out the wedges on a non-stick sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes, then take the pan out and turn each wedge over to brown the outside evenly. Bake for about 10 more minutes. The potatoes will be soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Let cool a bit and serve with sour cream.

3 comments:

  1. Although you don't have a picture of the potatoes alone, the picture of them in teh zip-lock bag is very demonstrative. I sometime use a little lemon juice in the marinade along with the spices, seasonings and herbs. I like lemon as a way to add a little acidic lift to food. It freshen many things and adds a bit of sharpness to balance the fat and richness. I also do like ketchup with these wedges as if they were frites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making a half-recipe of these as we speak, though I didn't have all of the spices, so I just went with some Mrs. Dash that I had lying around. It smelled garlic-y enough. I've made these before, always with red, but I figured I'd do Yukon gold to honor No Free Lunch, because that's what I remember you using most frequently in undergrad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you they are excellent with either. Garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and oregano are definitely 4 staple spices that all kitchens should have.

      Delete