Monday, February 27, 2012

Finals Stew

Finals at Krannert have arrived, and with it, I wanted to create a dish that wasn't too difficult to make, and that I could keep eating for a few days. What I came up with was this once-around-the-kitchen pork and vegetable stew with infused with Asian-inspired flavors. The dairy-based broth gives it a nice creaminess. I've also used turmeric, which is used in Asian cuisines to impart a bright yellow color to food.


Ingredients
  • 2 slices pork loin
  • 5 small red potatoes
  • 4 carrots
  • 2 small onions
  • Handful of sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup Frozen peas
  • 2 1/2 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
  • Half lemon
  • Salt and pepper
  • Vegetable oil

Instructions

Get the broth going. Combine water, milk, and half and half in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the spices and however much salt and pepper you want. Cut the potatoes into small pieces (2-8 pieces depending on size). Peel and chop carrots into pieces. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer and add potatoes and carrots.


Heat vegetable oil on high in a frying pan. Cut the pork into slices and quickly brown both sides. Add to the broth. Slice onions into strips and saute until soft and browned. Add to the stew. Do the same for the mushrooms. 


Cover and simmer the whole thing for 30 minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice in, then add peas. Cook for 15 more minutes. At this point, the pork will be very tender. Serve over rice.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'm making a "big-ass pot meal" for tomorrow too (so I can have leftovers), and if I had only seen this, I would have absolutely made it this one. As things stand, I decided on Texas style steak chili, which would probably be a fun one for the blog here too.

    I just started a personal project of writing a poem every day, and I feel like they're coming out decently so far. If you'd like to check them out, I followed your lead and used blogspot. missiontomercury.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you take this as the glowing compliment it is: that looks almost exactly like Asiana curry. Very nice.

      Delete
    2. I take that very much as a compliment. I also congratulate you for being the author of No Free Lunch's 100th comment! Please send me your bank account information to redeem your prize.

      Delete