Thursday, July 9, 2015

Steamed Beef with Spicy Rice Powder (粉蒸牛肉)

Fenzheng niurou, translated as "powder steamed beef" (one of the more intuitive translations we've seen so far), hails from the western province of Sichuan. I am still quite a novice when it comes to the various regional cuisines of China, but I'm pleased to say traveling the provinces with Peimei has certainly broadened my knowledge. After dad spotted boxes of spicy rice powder (discussed below) in the Chinese store, I had to give this one a go. He seemed very familiar with the dish, but I don't recall ever eating it before, so we're off into terra incognita with this one. I was immensely pleased with the results. As one of the pictures later shows, the beef goes in fairly dry and emerges as a deep, rich stew, I think in large part due to fat and connective tissue breaking down. I was amazed by how tender the beef was and how well the flavors developed and blended in just 30 minutes of cooking time. 


The unusual ingredient here is the spicy rice powder. This is really a misnomer, as I really wouldn't describe it as a powder, but more like broken up rice. I used prepackaged rice powder. Preparing the powder involves toasting rice with star anise and Sichuan peppercorns, then crushing the rice up. This then becomes a quasi-breading for the beef. Note that the above photo was made with only 1.75 oz of rice powder (one box), but I would double that, as the recipe suggests.


Hot bean paste and Sichuan peppercorn, the staple Sichuan ingredients make their return here, after their first appearance in mapo doufu. These two combine give western Chinese dishes their distinctive heat and aroma. Unlike most of her recipes, Peimei is completely vague on the cut, asking only for "beef" (I did check the Chinese recipe, and it is equally vague). I went with chuck for its good flavor and utility in stews and braises, and this worked out very well. Interestingly, I bought the meat as "western ribs" or "country ribs" -- mostly boneless shoulder cuts of meat sliced into strips, so it was quick to break these down into the slices I needed. Pork country ribs are, by the way, my favorite cut to make char siu.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lb beef chuck
  • 3.5 oz (100 g) spicy rice powder
  • 2 green onions
  • Sichuan peppercorn powder to taste (optional)
Marinade
  • 1 1/2 Tbs minced ginger
  • 1 tsp five spice powder
  • 2 Tbs hot bean paste (doubanjiang -- see Exotic Ingredients)
  • 4 Tbs soy sauce
  • 2 Tbs Shaoxing wine or dry amontillado
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil

Instructions

Cut beef across the grain into thin slices, 1 to 1 1/2 inches across. Combine the beef and all marinade ingredients in an airtight bag and let stand in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.


Spread out the rice powder on a plate and dredge each slice of beef on both sides. 


Steam the beef for 30 minutes. If you have small, shallow bowls that can fit inside a bamboo steamer, then use those. I did not have bowls that fit, so I put the beef in a 10 x 10 inch cake dish and set this inside a wok with boiling water below, then covered with a lid. Whatever your strategy, you need the steam to be trapped over the beef. 


Once the beef is done cooking, add the remaining green onions and dust with peppercorn powder, if desired. Mix together and serve. I served with rice and Chinese vegetables.

Commentary

I made minimal changes to the original recipe. The main thing was that I swapped out star anise for the more readily available five spice powder in the marinade. Other than that, I played with the marinade proportions a little. Peimei also calls for an entire cup of rice powder per 3/4 lb. beef, which seems absurd to me.

As a final note, it's worth mentioning that the way my version turned into a deep and delicious stew does not seem to be universal. The photo in the cookbook looks a lot dryer, as well as others I saw on the internet. 

3 comments:

  1. You may have to consult with grandpa on this one. I remember it not having any sauce with the powder creating a fuzzy coating to the pieces of meat. They always used the yellow enamel bowl to steam it in and the bamboo cover. Maybe your glass cover created a sauce from the steam.

    This was definitely one of my favorite dishes from the grannies kitchen so glad you are giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't considered that, but you may be right. This is one I will have to post some updates on once I try it again. It should also help to have enough rice powder to fully cover the meat.

      Delete
  2. You may have to consult with grandpa on this one. I remember it not having any sauce with the powder creating a fuzzy coating to the pieces of meat. They always used the yellow enamel bowl to steam it in and the bamboo cover. Maybe your glass cover created a sauce from the steam.

    This was definitely one of my favorite dishes from the grannies kitchen so glad you are giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete