Sunday, May 24, 2020

Upgrade: Steak au Poivre

Steak au poivre is a special dish for No Free Lunch, as it was the post that started my tradition of doing a classic French dish every Bastille Day. Simple but delicious, it's a classic for a reason. My original recipe holds up very well, so this Upgrade is more of a refinement than an overhaul. There, I suggested using "your favorite cut" of beef, so I've done just that, with a nicely marbled ribeye. I typically make one to split for the two of us. Roasted red potatoes and Ariel's homemade challah were excellent accompaniments. 


Other than swapping the top sirloin for the more luxurious ribeye, I've made a few small adjustments. Most importantly, I used half black and half green peppercorns. This cuts the spiciness, but leaves enough to cut through the rich sauce. I've also used shallot instead of onion, which is the more traditional choice for pan sauces. I never used to bother with shallots, but I've come to appreciate their subtlety. Finally, I had some cream on hand, so I used that in place of half and half. 

Ingredients
  • 1 boneless ribeye steak, about 1 inch thick
  • 2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
  • 2 tsp. whole green peppercorns
  • Kosher salt to taste
  • 1 Tbs. butter
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 shallot, minced (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup cognac
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Fresh herbs (chives, parsley, etc.), finely chopped

Instructions

Using a mortar and pestle, crush the peppercorns so they are broken apart into small pieces. Mix thoroughly. Generously salt both sides of the steak, then press the peppercorns into both sides of the steak. 


In a heavy skillet (I used cast iron), heat olive oil and melt butter. Cook the steak, flipping every 1-2 minutes, until seared on both sides and about medium rare in the center. About 10 minutes of total cooking time will be about right. Set aside.


Drain about half the fat from the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add the shallot and sauté a few seconds. Deglaze with cognac and scrape up the fond from the pan. Add chicken stock, mustard, and cream. Turn heat to high and reduce by about half. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. 

If serving for two, cut the steak in half. Plate the steak and spoon the sauce on top. Garnish with fresh herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment