Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

It's been something of a busy week for me, but with Thursday upon us, No Free Lunch has returned. Regular readers may also notice that I've added a category "cloud" on the sidebar to help you navigate the recipes. There's also a navigation bar at the top, which will fill up as I add new pages.

Beef Stroganoff is definitely another food I've been eating my whole life, and it has long been one of my favorites. Originally a Russian dish, stroganoff has made its way around the world. It's a great use for a cut of meat that isn't flavorful enough to stand on its own as a steak.


Ingredients

  • 1 large sirloin steak
  • 1/3 - 1/2 onion
  • 6 small mushrooms
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup beef stock
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • Salt and pepper
  • Garlic powder

Instructions

Remove the fat from the side of the steak, then cut into thin slices. This is one case where the steak can still be a little frozen, so that it's easier to cut. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Melt butter in a frying pan on high heat. Brown the beef slices on both sides. Work in batches as to not crowd the pan. Set the beef aside.


Slice mushrooms thinly and dice onion. Turn heat to medium and sauté onions for a few minutes, then add mushrooms. When mushrooms are browned on both sides, deglaze the pan with the beef stock. Scrape the beef bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the sour cream, and stir to integrate. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Simmer for a few minutes, then add the beef back into the sauce. Simmer a bit more.


Serve over potatoes, egg noodles, or rice. Many variations of this dish exist. For example, you can add some minced garlic with the onion. Some prefer not to add the mushrooms. As usual, when it comes to the kitchen, it's all up to you!

1 comment:

  1. Nice, one of my favorite dishes. This blog has emphasized traditions and childhood food memories. In that spirit, I thought I should bring up a few nuances of the Beef Stroganoff that you grew up eating. I typically go for a cheaper cut of beef, like chuck or boneless short rib. I cut the beef into strips the size of penne pasta. I also slice the onions, not chopped, to give the sauce more texture. I use much less sour cream, about a cup for the family of four, and always light or non-fat sour cream. I think it is actually better than regular sour cream as the sauce is more savory without being masked by the higher fat of regular sour cream. Two other important nuances that I always do is mustard, powder or strong prepared Dijon, and curry. I use mild Indian curry paste which adds a complex spiciness to the sauce without standing out as being curry. The mustard is very traditional with Beef Stroganoff recipes. I also add a bit of beef essence bringing a meaty flavor. It darkens the sauce as well. Your home Stroganoff has no garlic in it. Since that is the Stroganoff that you have enjoyed at home, I offer the tips for you to try and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete