Monday, January 25, 2016

Birthday Special 2016

Ariel's birthday is here again, and a new No Free Lunch tradition is born. As with last year, I made a cake. This time, though, I made it entirely on my own. In all likelihood, I will never post a cake recipe on this blog, except maybe a Chinese sponge cake, if I ever get around to it. I like to tinker and experiment with recipes and put my own twists on a dish. Baking is often described as a precise science, and I don't have the expertise or confidence to tinker with cakes. I am, however, going to continue posting pictures of Ariel's annual birthday cakes.


This year, I made a yellow cake (recipe from The Kitchn) with chocolate frosting (recipe from Kraft). I went with a mathematical theme, taking advantage of the rare perfect cube. I promised to do the same for 64.


For the main course, I made leg of lamb and mushroom kebabs on the grill. Remember, folks, winter is no deterrent to the ambitious griller!

3 comments:

  1. Aah, nothing better than homemade cake, none of those boughten cakes for our girl. Happy birthday Ariel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks delicious and the kebab is even better. Winter grilling is even better because that taste is even more precious in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course Happy Birthday to dearest Ariel.

    ReplyDelete