Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Beef Ragù

Like many people, I ate a lot of pasta in college. It was quick and required little effort. I could just cook it in an electric water boiler and shovel some jarred sauce onto it. There is no shame in using jarred sauce, and I still do so often, but this kind of slapdash cuisine is no longer satisfying to me. It is not to hard, however, to create a tasty pasta dish just from ingredients you have in your fridge or pantry. That's what I did today with this simple beef ragù. Ragù is simply a meat-based sauce, and can get much more complex than the quick one I present today. Traditional ragù originates from the Italian cities of Naples and Bologna.


Ingredients
  • 3 cups dry pasta
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 1/2 tsp dry basil
  • 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
  • 1 cup crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • Salt and pepper
  • Pinch of paprika
  • Parmiggiano-Reggiano
  • Olive oil

Instructions

While you are preparing the ragù, you can cook the pasta. Heat a pot of salted water and boil the pasta for about 10 minutes. I used farfalle, but go with your favorite. Once finished, drain, rinse, and set aside.


Dice the onion and finely mince the garlic. Heat olive oil on medium-high in a large sauté pan. Cook the onion until softened. Add the beef and garlic and turn heat up to high. Cook until beef is browned. While the beef is cooking, make sure to break up and chunks. Add basil and oregano while beef is cooking, and mix in. Season with salt and pepper also. 


Turn the heat back to medium-high and add both the diced and crushed tomatoes. Stir to integrate and simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika as desired. Now, transfer the ragù into the pot with the pasta, and stir to coat. When serving, grate or crumble Parmiggiano-Reggiano over the pasta. This recipe should make about three servings.

6 comments:

  1. Nice simple dish and satisfying too. Your mom and I ate a lot of pasta in college too but less sophiticated than yours. Real Parmeggiano- Reggiano is the only way to go as the cheese has a prominent place here. Sometime I add a little crushed red pepper to kick it up a bit. That Salice Salentino red from Trader Joe's will go well with this dish although Bologna is a long way from Puglia (the heel of Italy) where the wine is from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, good Italian sausage would work with this recipe as well. How about ground lamb? That would be a nice twist and yet traditional. Red wine for sure. I do prefer leaner ground meat for pasta sauces. I like richness from flavor and not from fat. This is a versatile recipe for substitution of ingredients including the herbs. How about some mushrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no doubt those would be good variations. However, I do not believe ground lamb has managed to find its way into Hoosier cuisine at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And if you have to pay for lamb chops or a leg of lamb, why chop that up? There isn't ground lamb in Moorhead/Fargo either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In another installment of "Jason provides unrequested, undesired information that he vaguely recalls from somewhere":

    Were you aware the spelling of this particular style of dish is "ragout" in French, as compared to the Italian spelling? I learned this in high school Francais. While I'm not 100% sure, I actually think the word comes from the French, though the dishes themselves are not actually the same thing. I believe the closest translation for the French is a fairly general term for a stew of some sort. At least, that's how Monsieur Alston described it. He was something of a foodie himself.

    Just occurred to me, that's all. Keep up the good blogging work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also ran across the French version while writing this entry. I believe you are correct in that it is a stewier dish. The closest to what I've posted is the Bolognese ragu. Traditionally, the Bolognese style swaps the tomatoes for other vegetables, and doesn't have the herbs I included. It's also served over egg noodles.

      Delete